Required Education, Skills & Experience
- High school diploma or GED.
- Two years of experience and training in the construction and maintenance of water distribution systems or equivalent locating experience.
- Grade II Water Distribution Operator’s Certification (or ability to obtain certification within 24 months).
- Certification by ATSSA for work zone Traffic Control (or ability to obtain certification within 12 months).
- Certification from California State University-Sacramento in Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance (or ability to obtain certification within 12 months).
- Certification from FEMA in ICS 100 and 200 (or ability to obtain certification within 12 months).
- Working knowledge of engineering drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge to perform job duties including identifying and locating water main facilities and operation of water main appurtenances, including a thorough understanding of the best locating/marking practices for all types and sizes of water mains.
- Trained, or ability to be trained, and knowledgeable in the use of vehicles and other associated equipment.
- Knowledge of methods, tools, equipment, materials, and techniques used in the installation and maintenance of water mains, valves and fire hydrants, service connections and appurtenances.
- Commitment to safety and full knowledge of related occupational hazards and safety precautions including OSHA regulations. Must comply with safety rules and regulations. Trained, or ability to be trained, in safe driving practices and use of locating equipment.
- Ability to work independently.
- Able to maintain a positive attitude, provide support, and to foster a high respect/high performance environment. Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with employees, the public, foremen, supervisors, managers and directors.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English. Ability to read, follow verbal and written instructions, and to communicate with customers and co-workers in emergency situations. Must be a good listener.
- Maintain good working relationships with City, County and State inspectors, public works staff and engineering staff.
- Requires manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Availability to work overtime, as required, and be willing to work irregular hours.
- Well organized and able to set priorities.
- Excellent attendance and dependability are a fundamental importance in this position.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of software, with emphasis in SharePoint, Word, and Outlook.
- Proficiency with SAP, GIS, and AIMS software applications.
- Ability to use GPS equipment to collect data points.
- Ability to use the Locate application and other specialty software products.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment and excellent decision-making skills.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain focus in crisis and/or emergency situations.
- Commitment to excellence and a desire to see WaterOne meet its goals.
- Valid driver’s license and continuously meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Must pass post offer medical exam, including drug screen and background verification (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Associates degree in Construction Management, Engineering Technology, or Business.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally lift/or move up to 90 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for five hours a day. The employee must be able to move occasionally from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. The employee must be able to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, printer, and copy machine. The employee must be able to occasionally position self to install, remove or repair various items. The employee must be able to constantly work in outdoor weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
WaterOne is an equal opportunity employer and upholds a non-discrimination policy. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, military status, or marital status in making employment and business decisions. We also prohibit harassment and retaliation in the workplace and in our dealings with the public. We encourage and welcome diversity of backgrounds in our workforce. WaterOne complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA).
Complete job description is available upon request and will be provided during the selection process.